Thursday, June 23, 2011

Missy Elliott opens up about Graves' disease battle, radiation treatments.....

Missy Elliott has returned from the shadows and is now revealing the reason she hasn't been heard from in a while: the rapper has been secretly battling Graves' disease since 2008. 
Graves' disease, which affects the autoimmune system and thyroid, has caused Elliott to have trouble with simple everyday tasks, like driving and writing.
"I was [driving and] trying to put m

y foot on the brake, but my leg was jumping," she told People. "I couldn't keep the brake down and almost crashed. I couldn't write because my nervous system was so bad — I couldn't even use a pen."
While admitting she was able to reduce the full impact of the disease over time by undergoing radiation treatments, Elliott will be stricken with this disease for the rest of her life because it unfortunately has no cure. And, it's possible that due to the disease, her quality of life will worsen over time.
But, she has credited exercising to helping her try to live a normal life.
"I'm 30 pounds lighter because I've been exercising. My thyroid is functioning, so I haven't had to take medication in about nine months," she revealed.
Not only has the disease taken a toll on the singer physically, but it's also affected her mentally. She suffered mood swings and hair loss when she went through radiation for hyperthyroidism.
Although Elliott is plagued by a difficult illness, she is not letting it deter her from doing what she loves and continuing on with her career.

No comments:

Post a Comment